Monday 6 February 2012

Feeling like I've received more than I gave

I’ve been (probably far too slowly) critiquing a friend’s YA MS over the past few weeks.  The experience has been incredibly rewarding for me.  Apart from my own MS, I think that this is the most in depth analysis I’ve ever done on a book.  This is probably because when I’ve read a book I’ve bought, I’ve looked for the major things like Plot, characters, style and how they’ve made the story active as opposed to passive.  Invariably, I’ve been drawn along by the story and not looked as deeply as I should.  But, from the next book I read I know that I will be delving a lot deeper into it.
Sorry, I seem to have gone off plot and started rambling.
Ahem… Right, now where was I?  Oh yes. My critiquing...
Because I needed to provide some (hopefully) good feedback, it made me look a lot deeper into this book.  (I can honestly say that the story blew me away.  If she doesn’t get a deal, then there really is no justice in the world.) and it’s made me wonder whether my MS is really a YA book.  It’s probably at the bottom end of YA, bordering on MG.  Looks like I’ve got a bit of working out on where this fits in.

8 comments:

  1. I learn so much by critiquing. It has been a wonderful experience for me, and hopefully helpful to those I critique as well. And I agree - sometimes it's hard to know where your book fits in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't think I would gain so much from it. I thought it was a good way to be nosy, and helpful at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I think taking your time with a critique is a good thing. When I rush it, I find I don't give the information I wanted and end up sending endless follow-up comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that. I fired off a follow up mail this evening :o|

      Delete
  3. I learn so much from critiquing, too! And, of course, I have amazing critters who give such thoughtful feedback. They rock! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. You learnt to pick the odd helpful comment out from the mass of drivel. lol

      Delete
  4. I think I've learned more from critiquing others than I have anywhere else. It's such a helpful process-- on both ends!

    Good luck figuring out the age group for your story. It's hard figuring out where it can fit, especially if it's on the low end of YA or high end of MG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. it's a win-win situation :o)

      Delete